Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Birth Order Research

 

 

Lizeth Felix-Guzman

August 27, 2014

3rd period

English 2 Honors

Birth Order Research

As reported by the study of birth order research, there is a correlation between your birth order, your personality traits, your mental virtues, and your work ethics. According to the study, I am an only child. As I read through some of the attributes an only child displays, I began to realize that I, in some way, possessed almost all the listed qualities. The qualities that describe me most, for example, was being critical towards myself, procrastinating, and being what they described as a "rescuer."
 
One thing that I've noticed over the past few years especially going into my teenage years, is that I've become very critical of myself. One of the reasons is not only do my parents have high expectations of me, but I also expect greatness within myself. One thing I tend to criticize most is my schoolwork. Although I get good grades, I know I can do better. I also highly doubt myself when I turn in assignments because I don't think I work to the best of my ability. This also has a lot to do with my habit of procrastinating which just so happens to also be an attribute of an only child.

Procrastination has been something that I've struggled with for as long as I can remember. For example, my third-grade teacher would give us weekly package that would do on Friday and I can remember a countless amount of times where I would stay up late on Thursday night trying to finish the work packet for tomorrow. Another more recent example can be found this summer when I was assigned two summer assignments, one for English Honors 2 and one for AP World History. Although it had all summer to work on them, I decided to wait until the last few days to even open the books I was assigned to read. I didn't start reading the history book, Guns, Germs, and Steel, let alone answer the questions until about three days before school began. As for the English book, Escape of Camp-14, I didn't begin reading the book until the evening before school started. As you can probably imagine that was an extremely stressful time for me.

Another word that suits me well from the Birth Order Research is "rescuer." I consider myself a rescuer because I often times find myself trying to protect or in a way save others. For example, although I am constantly arguing with my sister and getting her into trouble, when I parents yell at her I tend to jump in and try to protect and defend her. Another example of why I consider myself a rescuer it's because I'm constantly trying to get my parents to donate money to the foundation to help people in need. Also, whenever I passed by a homeless person, I pull out any change I have with me to give to them. In addition I cannot stand to watch the animal shelter commercials, the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital commercials are any commercials of the sort without shedding a few tears.

Overall I think the traits depicted among only children definitely fit me accurately. Although not everything described me 100%, it was amazing how Accurate the document was. This research helped me learn some things about myself that I didn't know before.

 

2 comments:

  1. Pretty good writing. Has a few mistakes and could have used a stronger conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great introduction and strong vocabulary. Even though procrastination is wrong, I am always impressed with how you always finish in time. Although, you young lady must to kick that habit out the curb. Also, I do agree that you are a rescuer. I absolutely agree with how you give money to the homeless since you are soft-hearted, especially around children. I think that is what I have noticed about you the most, and it's that you enjoy to be around children. It kind of makes me wish I had more patience and affection for children. Maybe in the future. Also, don't be so hard on yourself, which is hypocritical considering how self critical I am about myself, but accept who you are and try to be the best version of yourself.

    ReplyDelete